I always like to try out something new, something that nobody around me, at least, have never done before. This time around, I decided to make poached pear. I saw this from the cooking channel so I decided to Google it out and I thought, it would be a great desert. And so, I served poached pear for desert when my friend Kirby went to my house (click here to know what other dishes I prepared for my Kirby when he came to my house).
I got this Vanilla Poached Pears recipe from Chow and tweaked the recipe a little bit. What you’ll be needing for this recipe is (sorry the picture doesn’t look really nice);
1. Five cups of water.
2. 2 1/2 cups of granulated sugar.
3. Four strips of lemon zest (RM 2.80, City Grocer, Suria Sabah).
4. Original vanilla flavouring (RM 5.80, Merdeka Supermarket).
In the recipe I’ve got from the website, vanilla bean is used, but since it’s hard to get vanilla beans here in KK, vanilla flavouring would do just fine. I used to teaspoons of vanilla flavouring.
5. Pears (RM 3.60, City Grocer, Suria Sabah).
and, this is not included in the recipe, but I added;
6. A cinnamon stick (RM 0.90, Merdeka Supermarket).
Here’s how to prepare your pears.
1. Combine water, lemon zest, vanilla, and cinnamon in a pot and bring them to boil over high heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
2. Peel your pears with the stems intact. This is optional, but I halved my pears.
3. Reduce the heat and add in your pears, just make sure your pears are almost completely submerge. Turn your pears slightly until tender when pierced with fork. Poach your pears about seven minutes.
4. Let your pears cool in your poaching liquid. Serve immediately on a plate, I paired my pears with chocolate ice cream (RM 3.30), Hershey’s Strawberry Syrup (RM 10.50) and strawberries (RM 8.00).
Okay, presentation is a bit off. But it is only because I don’t have an ice cream scoop. In spite of that, the pear taste really good, of course with the flavours (lemon, vanilla and cinnamon) are infused inside the pear. Yummy!
If you don’t intend to serve all your pears on the same day, place both the pair and the liquid in an air tight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to two days.